Published on January 15, 2022 at 07:40
Their supremacy on the grill was perhaps matched only by their will and determination to win.
For their sheer dominance, the Northern Lehigh football team was hailed for their superior accomplishments at Monday’s school board meeting.
Superintendent Matthew J. Link said the board wanted to recognize “our outstanding football team right now.”
District Athletic Director Bryan Geist then read out a proclamation on behalf of the 2021-22 football team which reads:
• The team finished with a record of 11 wins and 4 losses; won the XI District Championship; and made the PIAA playoffs and won two state playoff games.
• Dylan Smoyer (quarterback); Trevor Amorim (wide receiver); AJ Jimenez (defensive end); and Brett Misera (defensive back) were named to the AP Sportswriters All-State Team.
• The team was recognized by the Pennsylvania Football News as the #4 ranked team in the State AA category.
• The team was recognized by Blue Ridge TV 13 as the best football team in the region.
• The team was recognized by Eastern PA Football as the #2 small school in Eastern Pennsylvania.
• Head football coach Joe Tout won his 100th victory.
• Smoyer set season bests in passing yards (1,755) and touchdowns (23), as well as career bests in passing yards (2,561) and touchdowns (30) .
• Amorim has recorded receiving yards (989), career receiving yards (1,817) and career receptions (100).
• Matt Frame finished with 47 touchdowns (third all-time), 3,371 career rushing yards (third all-time); and rushing yards for the season (fourth all-time).
• Frame (backing back/inside linebacker); Amorim (athlete/defensive back); and Ethan Karpowich were named to the Colonial League first team.
• Frame was named Colonial League Defensive Player of the Year.
• Jayden Krempasky (tackling); Jimenez (defensive end); Nicholas Frame (defensive back); and Misera (defensive back) were named to the Colonial League second team.
• Jackson VanNorman (center); Austin Smyth (tight end); and Misera (kicker) were named to the Colonial League Third Team.
• The team has brought distinction, praise, recognition, joy and appreciation to the district.
Board Chairman Mathias Green congratulated the team.
“You did a hell of a job,” Green said. “Congratulations.”
Everything said that the team worked hard for the success they achieved.
“We couldn’t be prouder of this band,” Tout said. “It wasn’t a year, it was the culmination of a very hard-working group that faced many different circumstances and worked through it.
“As coaches, we are proud of them. And as far as the community, with all the different things going on, we really felt the community embraced us and the school district, and we’d like to thank you for having us here tonight.
Head football coach Joe Tout, front row, first from left, joins members of the 2021-22 Northern Lehigh High School football team who were recognized by resolution at the Monday school board meeting. The team finished the season with an 11-4 record; won the XI District Championship; and made the PIAA playoffs and won two state playoff games. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO