Mayo Football League Tour | Connaught Telegraph

Ballyheane is Super League champion for the first time as Westport United B takes the Calor Gas Premier Cup title and Crossmolina takes the League One title.

Calor Gas Premier Cup Final

Westport United B won the Calor Gas Premier Cup earlier today with a 5-1 victory over Westport United C at Solar 21 Park.

The result may be a bit tough for Westport C, but there is no doubt that Westport B were the better team that day. They took the lead in the first three minutes when Dylan Duane scored straight from a corner as the ball had just crossed the line despite Niall O’Malley’s best efforts into the Westport C goal.

Their lead didn’t last too long as David Hoban leveled things five minutes later when he reacted fastest to shoot the ball past Micheal Gibbons from eight yards. The exciting start to the game continued as Westport B came back in front from the penalty spot four minutes later when Dylan Duane shot home from twelve yards after being shot just inside the box.

It stayed that way until half-time, but Westport B extended their lead after just two minutes into the second period when Ted Horan got the finishing touches on a Colin McDonnell free kick.

Westport B always seemed in control and increased their lead in the 72nd minute when substitute Mark McNally finished calmly at the near post. Another substitute, Aaron O’Toole, topped the scoring with a full-time strike as Westport B won their second cup of the season after winning the Tuohy Cup earlier in the season.

Elverys Sports Super League

Ballyheane FC are Elverys Sports Super League champions for the first time as they collected the three points they needed with a 2-1 win over Manulla at Carramore on Sunday morning.

Ashley Stevenson’s side are having an unforgettable season as they continue their unbeaten streak to win the title thanks to goals from Dara Ludden and Ben Edeh.

It was a historic day for the club as they finally crossed the finish line to lift the Tom Kelly Cup after coming so close in their last league outing against Ballina Town. They had to wait until the end of the first half to gain the advantage as the goal came in the 44th minute when Dara Ludden’s right-wing corner hit the back of the net at the near post despite the best efforts of a Manulla defender who could only help the ball pass Matty Flanagan.

Ballyheane controlled the second half and went further with twelve minutes to go when Ben Edeh scored his thirteenth league goal of the season. Liam Irwin was the goal orchestrator as his through ball fell on Nathan Reilly Doyle who had just beaten Matty Flanagan on the ball and pushed him down the path to Edeh who had the simpler task as he finished the ball in the net empty much to the delight of Ballyheane’s great support who now began to realize that they were on the verge of becoming champions.

Manulla did however have some interesting final minutes as Sean Sweeney scored what turned out to be a consolation goal with a neat finish from the edge of the box. Minutes later, Ballyheane celebrated as Kevin Cox blew the final whistle to leaps of joy from the players, management and supporters and they took a deserved victory for the league title.

In the other Super League game, Westport United clinched a 3-2 victory over Claremorris to tie the points with Paul Burke’s side in third place in the table.

CastleCourt Hotel Premier Division

All attention was on the lower half of the division today as Ballina Town B and Iorras Aontaithe tried to avoid relegation second after the final round of the division games on Sunday afternoon. Iorras Aontaithe came into the day two points clear of Ballina Town and knew a win would keep them in the division next season.

That’s what they managed to achieve with a 2-1 win over Conn’s Rangers at Mount Falcon as Dylan Walker’s second-half strike proved crucial for the Barony’s men. Iorras held the lead at the break thanks to a goal from Ivan Barrett, but Rangers fought back early in the second half thanks to Owen McNamara only for Walker to hit the winner on the hour mark.

The goal meant Ballina Town B will play Ligue 1 football next season despite their 2-0 win over Killala. Goals from Jamie Langdon and PJ Gilmartin were enough to earn points for Ballina in this North Mayo derby but ultimately it wasn’t enough to keep them in the division as they finished the season two points behind the teams at- above them.

Killeen Ligue 1 sports ground

With most eyes on Carramore to watch Ballyheane win the Super League title, the match of the day took place at Solar 21 Park where Crossmolina claimed the League One title with a 4-3 victory over Moy Villa in an end-to-end match that had it all.

Crossmolina started the game on the better side and took the lead in three minutes when Fiachra Walsh allowed Kevin Campbell to free Kevin Campbell and the midfielder kept his cool to get around Patrick Keane in the Moy Villa goal. before finding the back of the net on the left. hand station.

Moy Villa thought they had equalized ten minutes later when John Durkan found the net only for the striker to be flagged offside and within two minutes they found themselves further behind when Niall Coggins got his first of the day by scoring with a superb chip from the right side of the penalty area as his shot flew past Patrick Keane’s head and into the upper left corner.

Moy Villa dominated the remainder of the half but had only one goal to score when Adam Gordon moved towards his own net from a Ciaran Gaughan corner in the twenty-two minute mark. Andrew Ruane had his best chance to equalize near the break but his effort was well saved by Sean Gallagher in Crossmolina’s goal when it really looked like it was easier to score.

Moy Villa started the second half as they finished the first, but it was Crossmolina who scored next when they received a penalty after Adam Gordon’s foul in the box by Paul O’Boyle. Coggins stepped in to take the kick, but his effort was saved not once by Patrick Keane, but also by the rebound before Ian Gordon followed him to send the ball over the line.

Moy Villa fired back almost immediately when Ciaran Gaughan found himself after a cross from John Judge to push the ball home to the far post to leave the bare minimum between the sides again. Villa was fortunate enough to level things eighteen minutes from time when they also got a shot on goal, but Luke Ruane’s effort was saved by his former teammate Sean Gallagher in the Crossmolina goal. .

Villa kept pushing for the equalizer and it looked like we would need more time to separate the teams when Tony Loftus equalized with another Ciaran Gaughan corner when he steered the ball to the near post with five minutes to play. Loftus went from hero to villain in one minute when he was sent off after knocking Johnny Murtagh inside the box a minute later to give Crossmolina the chance to come back in front.

This time it was substitute Conal Carolan who took over and he made no mistake in sending Keane the wrong way to win the title for Michael Canavan’s side.

About the author