Football Today, June 9, 2022: Everton chief Farhad Moshiri apologizes for dismal campaign

LiveScore Daily is here to deliver all the big talking points from around the world of football throughout the day. Keep refreshing this page for the latest bite-sized stories.

caramel apologies

Everton owner Farhad Moshiri has apologized to the club’s fans after a dismal Premier League campaign.

The Toffees escaped relegation in the final week of the season as Frank Lampard finally inspired an improvement in results.

The Merseysiders have spent more than £500million on transfers in the six years since Moshiri took over and the British-Iranian businessman has revealed the club are carrying out a review to try to improve results on the ground.

In an open letter, Moshiri, 67, said: “Mistakes have been made and for that I want to apologize to all of you. It hasn’t been good enough and we need to do better.

“You have given us incredible support that has helped us cross the line when we needed it most, and we need to repay that support and show that lessons have been learned.

“During the 2021-22 season, the Board conducted a strategic review of our operations which included reviewing labor practices, our recruiting process and the overall structure of our recruitment operation. football in order to clearly identify the causes of our under-delivery on the pitch.

“A lot of learnings have already been implemented. The recruitment of Frank Lampard as our manager is an example of this.

“He was the exceptional candidate at the end of a solid and clearly defined process, demonstrating an ability to marry his technical skills with passion, intelligence, humility and in alignment with the values ​​of our club.

“Thank you for everything you have done to support your club so brilliantly during such a difficult season. You did not deserve the frustration and fear that the season has brought.”

Southgate: I won’t be too faithful

The English XI against Germany on Tuesday had just four different players to the one who started the 2018 World Cup semi-final

Gareth Southgate has dismissed any notion that he is too loyal to England’s 2018 World Cup and Euro 2020 stars.

Seven of the starting XI in Tuesday’s 1-1 draw with Germany also started the semi-final against Croatia four years ago.

While acknowledging he needs experience on the pitch, Southgate also highlighted the inclusion of players such as Bukayo Saka and the early introduction of Jude Bellingham.

The Three Lions boss said: “We are totally open-minded. Bukayo came out of the pack and we didn’t hesitate to put Jude into the fray which was an amazing experience for him.

“But to win big games, you need a lot of qualities. It’s not just about talent. You have to have know-how and awareness.

“They tested us tactically off the ball at such a high level, with the movements and runs they did, the techniques, so reading the game and communicating on the pitch is vital. This group of players played a lot together and on those nights, it’s vital.

“Of course we want to try to develop others and bring that competition and give them the same kinds of experiences, which Jude ended up having indirectly. But it’s a process.”

Southgate are set to ring the changes when Italy visit Molineux in England’s next Nations League game on Saturday.

Valencia appoint Gattuso

Gennaro Gattuso has been named Valencia's new boss
Gennaro Gattuso has been named Valencia’s new boss

LaLiga side Valencia have appointed former Napoli boss Gennaro Gattuso as their new manager.

The 44-year-old Italian replaces Jose Bordalas in his first role since May 2021 – despite having a turbulent off-season last year.

He was named Fiorentina boss before stepping down after just 23 days, before he even started at the club.

Gattuso also appeared set to take the reins at Tottenham, only for a social media backlash from Spurs fans protesting his proposed appointment, forcing an end to negotiations.

Valencia finished ninth in the 2021-22 campaign and will hope to improve under the AC Milan legend next season.

Russian ban extended by Premier League

No Premier League games will be broadcast legally in Russia for the foreseeable future
No Premier League games will be broadcast legally in Russia for the foreseeable future

Russian channel Match TV has had its six-year, £43m contract suspended by the Premier League due to the war in Ukraine.

The English top flight suspended the broadcast of all matches in the country in March following the February invasion.

And they confirmed at their annual general meeting today that the ban will continue, although it’s unclear whether or not the deal will be scrapped altogether.

All Russian clubs and national teams are currently banned from participating in UEFA and FIFA tournaments due to their ongoing offensive.

The Premier League has also opted to extend the £30 cap on away fan tickets to all top-flight matches.

In place since the start of the 2016-17 campaign, it will remain so for at least the next three seasons, with the next price review taking place before 2024-25.

A statement said: “All clubs recognize the crucial importance of supporters in generating the best possible atmosphere at matches and acknowledge the additional travel costs often involved when following a team away from home.

“It was also agreed today to include a cap on the price of away tickets in the Premier League rules for the first time.”

About the author