Football Today, July 22, 2022: Ben Mee joins Brentford on a two-year deal after leaving Burnley

LiveScore Daily is here to deliver all the big talking points from around the world of football throughout the day. Keep refreshing this page for the latest bite-sized stories.

Mee is thrilled to join Bees for free

Brentford have announced the free signing of defender Ben Mee from Burnley on a two-year deal.

The experienced defender, 32, left the Clarets this summer after 10 years at Turf Moor, during which he racked up 217 Premier League appearances.

Mee became the west London side’s fourth signing this summer after Aaron Hickey, Keane Lewis-Potter and Thomas Strakosha.

Bees boss Thomas Frank said of his new centre-back: “I am very happy that we have signed Ben. He will add a lot of quality and experience to the squad.

“He’s had six good years for Burnley in the Premier League. I really like his defensive mindset. He knows how to defend the box, he knows how to block a shot and he knows how to win duels.

“He will bring leadership and communication to the team, which is very attractive. He has a very good left foot and will be very good for us from set pieces in both boxes.

“I can’t wait to add him to the team.”

Former Reds chairman Moores has died

David Moores has died aged 76

Former Liverpool chairman and owner David Moores has died aged 76.

Moores served as chairman for 16 years from 1991 and became honorary chairman after selling his majority stake in the club in 2007.

The Reds won 10 major trophies during his tenure, including their memorable Champions League triumph in 2005.

A club statement read: “Liverpool are deeply saddened by the passing of former chairman and owner David Moores.

“The thoughts of everyone at the club are with David’s family and friends at this difficult time.”

Nacional fans mask up for Suarez

Nacional fans wore Luis Suarez masks during their game against Cerrito
Nacional fans wore Luis Suarez masks during their game against Cerrito

Fans of Uruguayan club Nacional wore Luis Suarez masks in their last game in a bid to convince the legendary striker to return to the club.

The 35-year-old started his career at Montevideo before forging successful careers at Ajax, Liverpool, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid.

After being released by Atleti this summer, multiple reports indicate that El Pistolero is now set to return to his homeland.

Nacional fans launched a Twitter campaign called #SuarezANacional this summer and their efforts, which saw 20,000 supporters wearing Suarez masks in the game against Cerrito, appear to be paying off.

Club president Jose Fuentes is said to have been in talks with Suarez and said earlier this week: “If there’s a chance, I’ll do everything possible for him to come.

“We are ready to give him all the love he deserves and treat him like what he is, a football idol.

“Nacional’s doors are open, you just have to tell us what you need. We are delighted that he can come.”

Gosling reveals all about Hornets relegation

Dan Gosling spoke out on Watford's relegation last season
Dan Gosling spoke out on Watford’s relegation last season

Dan Gosling has denounced the “shameful” attitudes inside Watford’s training ground during their relegation campaign last season and criticized the training methods of former bosses Claudio Ranieri and Roy Hodgson.

A disappointing campaign for the Hornets saw them fall to the Championship on just 23 points, just 12 months after being promoted.

Their struggles saw them go through three managers over the course of the season, with Xisco Munoz sacked just seven games as Ranieri took over, before the Italian was replaced by Hodgson in January.

The 32-year-old is now eyeing a fresh start at Vicarage Road next campaign under former Forest Green manager Rob Edwards.

Speaking to the Watford Observer, the midfielder said: “That time with Ranieri was really unpleasant. The training we went through, the spirit they created, the staff that came with him – everything was everything. just miserable… They were miserable, and he made him miserable.

“I was surprised they lasted four months to be honest. I’ve been in football for a long time, so I have a few boys in the squad, and that period has been as bad as it gets.

“If you go out on the training ground and only play five-a-side games day in and day out, that’s literally nothing football. It’s football for kids. As a pro, you only learn none of that.

“To be fair to Roy, what he did in training was very repetitive, but at least it was game situations. You have to refresh it a bit though. It’s 2022.”

Gosling’s criticism didn’t stop at managers either, with the former Everton and Bournemouth man highlighting some of the questionable attitudes among the players.

He added: “There was a lot of shameful attitudes here last season and that’s ultimately why we fell. It wasn’t about ability.

“They signed [Ozan] Tufan from a Turkish club. He was here on loan. Is he really going to care if the club goes down? He knew that no matter what, he could go back to where he came from. He wasn’t bothered and he wasn’t in good shape either.

“It was a real shame, by far the worst dressing room I’ve ever been in. So now that we’re cleaning decks and trying to build something new, it’s refreshing.”

More to come from Pulisic

Christian Pulisic was on target for Chelsea in their pre-season friendly with Charlotte
Christian Pulisic was on target for Chelsea in their pre-season friendly with Charlotte

Christian Pulisic says he is feeling good during Chelsea’s pre-season tour of the United States but said there is more to come from him next season.

The United States international was the scorer in the Blues’ penalty shootout loss to Charlotte in North Carolina after a 1-1 draw in regulation time.

But as this is only the west London club’s second game since returning as a side for pre-season, the 23-year-old believes there have been plenty of positives to come. the exit.

He said: “I think we’re still starting our season because it’s only our second game together. We’re still working on some things but I think we had a good time. They really surprised us and then with penalties, anything can happen.

“It was a big test. They looked like they were in season, fit and very fit. They played a good game. Charlotte really impressed me, and they’ve come a long way as soccer city.

“There are times when I feel I can be even better but I’m happy with the goal.

“I feel good, but I still have levels to reach and I can’t wait to keep working and improving.”

Orlando is the next stop on Chelsea’s American road trip as they take on London rivals Arsenal on Saturday night before heading back to the UK.

Darwin’s perfect night

Liverpool summer signing Darwin Nunez scored four goals in a friendly against RB Leipzig
Liverpool summer signing Darwin Nunez scored four goals in a friendly against RB Leipzig

Jurgen Klopp has hailed striker Darwin Nunez’s “perfect night” after the summer signing from Liverpool scored four goals in a 5-0 friendly win over RB Leipzig.

Mohamed Salah opened the scoring before the Uruguayan netted four second-half goals at the Red Bull Arena on Thursday night.

Nunez has come under intense scrutiny since his £64m move to Anfield from Benfica and his German boss was delighted to see him silence some doubters for now at least.

Klopp said: “Obviously it’s the best way to stop all this talk.

“We always think that if you pay a lot of money, the players don’t feel any pressure. They are all perfectly normal human beings.

“This generation of players reads social media, which is really not smart, but they do.

“He’s a different striker to what we have or had, but he’s definitely a good one.

“It’s of course a perfect night for him.”

Ten Hag backs Maguire to silence the boo boys

Manchester United captain Harry Maguire was the target of boos during a friendly in Melbourne
Manchester United captain Harry Maguire was the target of boos during a friendly in Melbourne

Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag has told captain Harry Maguire that good performances are the perfect way to silence the boo boys.

The defender came under heavy criticism during United’s pre-season friendly win over Crystal Palace from fans inside the Melbourne cricket ground in Australia on Tuesday.

Boos rang out every time the 29-year-old touched the ball and the Red Devils manager confirmed the team were aware of it at the time.

The Dutch boss said: “We have heard but we see [that] if you play it slows down, and I think he, Harry Maguire and the team are impressed with the way they play.

“I don’t think it’s about whether I can figure it out, it’s about how we can change it and the team and Harry himself playing. That’s what we’re working on. . That’s the only goal.”

Laca comes out of wasp stings

Alexandre Lacazette is doubtful for the friendly match between Lyon and Feyenoord
Alexandre Lacazette is doubtful for the friendly match between Lyon and Feyenoord

Lyon have been stung by the potential absence of Alexandre Lacazette for their friendly with Feyenoord on Sunday after a wasp attack on the Frenchman.

Lacazette suffered multiple wasp stings in the forest surrounding the French side’s hotel in the Netherlands, where they are in pre-season camp.

ESPN say the 31-year-old is being watched day-to-day to see if he can take part in the clash at De Kuip this weekend.

With the striker now potentially unavailable, it remains to be seen which of the Lyon players will head for a starting spot alongside Peter Bosz.

Lacazette returned to Lyon this summer after leaving Ligue 1 to join Arsenal in 2017.

Gayle forces the Stoke switch

Dwight Gayle has joined Stoke on a permanent deal
Dwight Gayle has joined Stoke on a permanent deal

Striker Dwight Gayle has joined Championship side Stoke on a permanent deal from Newcastle for an undisclosed fee.

The 32-year-old has signed a two-year contract at bet365 after falling out of favor with the Magpies in recent seasons.

While struggling to rise to the top at Premier League level, Gayle proved his worth in the Championship after scoring 59 goals in 100 second-tier games in spells at Peterborough, Newcastle and West Brom.

Potters boss Michael O’Neill said: “Dwight’s record, particularly in the Championship, is outstanding and there were a number of clubs chasing him so we’re really pleased he’s chosen to join us.”

The former Crystal Palace marksman is Stoke’s sixth summer arrival after Josh Laurent, Aden Flint, Gavin Kilkenny, Harry Clarke and Liam McCarron.

About the author