Firefighters were called after a huge fire broke out at a football stadium

A large fire has broken out at a Premier League football stadium as fire crews rushed to the scene this morning in Wolverhampton.

A team of 20 firefighters arrived at Molineux Stadium, home of Wolverhampton Wanderers, just before 2am on Sunday January 23, after a fire broke out in the Sir Jack Hayward Suite at the Billy Wright Stand.

The fire was reportedly accidentally started by an electrical device.

Read more news about Coventry

There were no injuries and the bay area was empty at the time.

The fire was extinguished at 3:40 a.m. and firefighters left the scene at 6:45 a.m.

The West Midlands Fire Service said in a statement on Twitter: “At 1.56am this morning we responded to a fire at Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton. The first of four fire crews and 20 firefighters arrived two minutes after being mobilized. We got the fire under control for a bar in the conference room. It was out at 3:40 in the morning.

“The fire is believed to have started accidentally, in an electrical device.”

Andy Howard, watchman at Wolverhampton Fire Station, said: “There was a fire in the bar.

“It was confined to the original room, but the bar and part of the workspace were involved in a fire. Otherwise it was just smoke damage to the rest of the floor. “

There was ‘extensive damage’ to the building and affected hospitality ticket holders will be contacted ahead of the next game.

Wolves said in a statement: “Extensive damage was caused by a fire in the Billy Wright stand at Molineux. Thanks to the excellent @WestMidsFire for their quick response and help in controlling the fire.”

Wolves played Brentford on Saturday and won the Premier League game by scoring 2-1 after a drone disrupted the game during the first half.

Keep up to date with the latest news with our email alerts straight to your inbox. Register here.

About the author